Microsoft unveils the Xbox One

By On 21st May, 2013

 

The Xbox 360’s successor – the Xbox One – was unveiled today by Microsoft at their Xbox Campus in Richmond.

The consoles moniker came as a relative surprise, after months of speculation that the console would be named either Xbox Infinity or simply Xbox.

It’s Microsoft’s hope that their new next-gen console will be the go-to hardware of your living room, with it’s ability to integrate in to your TV set-top box. This is bolstered by the inclusion of Kinect 2.0 with every Xbox One – featuring massively improved voice recognition and body input – meaning you could discard all those TV remotes, and replace them with either the all new Xbox One Controller… or yourself.

The event also saw the unveiling of the next iteration of Xbox Live, which is apparently powered by 200 times the servers as the original Xbox Live launched with. The new online offering from Microsoft did indeed look slick, with interactive TV guides, exemplary voice command integration, Skype and a new feature Microsoft is calling “Snap Mode”.

Snap Mode offers multi-tasking of a level not yet seen in online gaming, allowing you to be watching a movie in 75% of your screen real-estate, whilst scanning for a match-making game on Call of Duty: Ghosts in the other 25%. Impressive stuff. Other Snap Mode examples showed a live basketball game on ESPN “snapped” next to the ESPN basketball fantasy league app, with scoreboards and fantasy points updating in real time.

Here’s the console specs:

  • 8 Core CPU
  • 8GB System Memory
  • 500GB Hard Drive
  • Blu-ray Drive
  • 802.11n Wireless with Wi-Fi Direct
  • HDMI In/Out with Through Stream (allows the One to use other HDMI outputting devices as input, such as your Sky satellite box)
  • USB 3.0

Did you watch the PS4 and Xbox One reveals? What did you think?

Gary Garside

Gary is an Editor at Console-Deals.com. When he isn't reviewing games or discovering Console bargains, you can usually find him playing Racing or FPS games, occasionally dabbling in the odd RTS or MicroSim.