What are the different PS4 models?
View all advice guides
There are currently 3 different PS4 Models; the original PS4, the PS4 Slim and the PS4 Pro.
The original PS4 is currently being phased out, replaced by the PS4 Slim, which has the same specs but is a third smaller. Both are available as 500GB and 1TB, and like the PS4, come with HDR due to a recent PlayStation update.
The PS4 Pro is the most powerful PlayStation ever, allowing you to play games in 4K. It is currently only available in 1TB.
When the PlayStation 4 came out in November 2013, there was only one 500GB model available. Times have changed: now, you can find the original PS4, the slim PS4, and the PS4 Pro on shop shelves. That’s three different models – and each have their own differences.
So, which PS4 should you buy?
What is the PS4 Pro?
Released on 10th November 2016, PS4 Pro is the newest version of the console. It’s a more powerful version of the original PS4, with a faster graphics processor and support for 4K and HDR TVs. It plays all the same games as the original PS4, with improved graphics and performance in some games.
Here’s a quick PS4 Pro FAQ:
- Do I need a 4K TV to use a PS4 Pro? – Nope, it works with any HDTV. But, if you do have a 4K TV, then some games will display in 4K and, if your TV supports it, HDR.
- Will PS4 Pro play my old PS4 games? – Yep, all of them. Some will have improved performance.
- Is it worth getting a PS4 Pro if I don’t have a 4K TV? – If you want higher framerates and detail levels, yes.
- Will PS4 Pro have any exclusive, ‘Pro-only’ games? – Nope. Sony has clearly stated that all PS4 console versions will play all PS4 games.
- Does PS4 come with the new DualShock 4 controller? It’s a slight revision with an extra light bar on the front.
- What are the hard disk/storage options? – Right now you can only get a 1TB PS4 Pro.
What is the PS4 Slim?
The Pro wasn’t the only new PS4 to launch in 2016. In September, Sony replaced the original PlayStation 4 with a smaller and cheaper version that’s been unofficially named “PS4 Slim”.
In terms of performance, PS4 Slim is identical to the original PS4. That makes it slower than PS4 Pro… but they all still play every PS4 game.
Here’s our quick PS4 Slim FAQ:
- How much smaller is PS4 Slim compared to PS4 Fat? – About 1/3 smaller. The Slim is 264 x 288 x 39 mm, while the Fat is 275 x 305 x 53 mm.
- Did any original features get cut from PS4 Slim? – Yes. PS4 Slim doesn’t have an optical audio out jack.
- Does PS4 Slim have any new features not in PS4 Fat? It has a more rounded case design and a new version of the DualShock 4 controller. Specs are the same.
- What are the hard disk/storage options? – Right now you can only get a 500GB PS4 Slim.
What about the original PS4?
For now, the original PS4 is still available in shops. But since the PS4 Slim is designed as a straight replacement, those Fat consoles should disappear sooner or later.
Should you buy an original PS4? Well, it’s basically just a bigger PS4 Slim with a 1TB option. So if you don’t mind not having the newest model, or the most powerful, PS4 Fat should suit you fine.
Here are some more OG PS4 answers:
- Does PS4 Fat play the same games as PS4 Pro? – Yes, but they might not look as nice.
- Does PS4 Fat support HDR? – Yes. All PS4s can do HDR graphics in supported games, since firmware v4.
- Does PS4 Fat have any advantages over Slim? – It has an optical audio out connector, unlike the Slim.
- What are the hard disk/storage options? – It comes in 500GB and 1TB versions.
So… which PS4 should I buy?
Now you know all about the three different PS4 models, you’re ready to make up your mind. Here’s a roundup of the best options in a bunch of difference scenarios.
“I just want the best, money’s no object”: Get the PS4 Pro. It’s the most expensive, but it’s also the newest and most powerful. Games look and perform better on Pro.
“I want the newest console possible, but I’m on a budget”: Get the Slim. Although it’s got the same specs as the original PS4, it’s smaller and has the newest DualShock 4 controller. It’s also a great price.
“I want the cheapest PS4 available”: Get the original or the Slim. The original PS4 has some great deals as retailers work to clear old stock.
“I want 1TB storage”: Get the Slim or the original. It is currently the cheapest option at the moment.
“I really need optical audio for my amp/receiver”: Get the Pro or the original PS4. The Slim doesn’t have optical out.